Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Assignment 1 - Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

Dear Professor Brad,

I am Herman Ong, a student from your effective communication class. The purpose of writing is to formally introduce myself. I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in integrated facility management and hence decided to pursue a degree in the related field at Singapore Institute of Technology as I developed an interest in building designs and structures during my polytechnic internship at Westin Hotel & Resorts. 


Internship gave me an exposure to work life and the opportunity for cross-platform learning where I was able to apply various analytical concepts and understand the systems in their facilities. From my internship experience, I learned that being socially adept is one of my strong qualities as I can easily blend into new environments and find comfort speaking freely in groups.


However, I do not find the same comfort when addressing large audiences. My confidence level tends to dwindle, which leads me to stutter or lose my train of thoughts. My weakness also lies in expressing ideas into words and thus having to spend long periods validating my work. The use of flashcards usually aids me in keeping my thoughts in check, though I hope to eventually get rid of this dependency.


The goals that I have set for this module are to develop my communication skills and to become more confident in public speaking. As you have mentioned, the English language is a medium that is understood universally and is key for engineers to interact globally. By refining my public speaking skills, I will be able to portray myself confidently and express my ideas fluently. 


What sets me apart from others is my desire to perform tasks to my utmost ability. I tend to attract like-minded people to achieve a certain outcome, and it feels invigorating. I look forward to learning more about effective communication under your guidance.


If you’re afraid to fail, you’re probably going to fail.” – Kobe Bryant



Sincerely yours,

Herman 



I have reviewed my group's posts and given comments for Jin Han and Raymond.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for this lively intro, Herman. I look forward to the feedback provided by your blogging group members, and I will comment in more detail after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one question, Herman: of the total group of peers, which are your blog group members and which are classmates in general?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blog group members are: Jin Han, Raymond, Joshua and Shimin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Herman,

    I'm intrigued after reading through you letter. I like how you structure your sentences, the flow of your letter and the used of synonym from the start till the end. Kudos to that.

    Overall, I enjoy your letter and I look forward to working with you in further assignments.

    p.s. I love your quotation.

    Regards,
    Raymond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Raymond,

      Thank your for your feedback, I look forward to seeing you in class too!


      Regards,
      Herman

      Delete
  6. Hi Herman

    Thanks for sharing more about yourself. I love how it all started from your internship in polytechnic to how you eventually realize your strength and weakness.

    The last paragraph stands out to me because you wrote down what makes you special from others. Overall, I love the content and organization of your reflection. I look forward to working closely with you in class.

    Yours sincerely
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joshua,

      I hope my letter had inspired you to do the same as well. See you around school!


      Regards,
      Herman

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Herman,

    Thank you for sharing yourself. I can know you more as a friend and classmate after I have read through your letter. Here is my opinion about your blog.

    Firstly, I think the content is good with concise. You are telling us about your internship experience, goals and strength with a good flow and good structure.

    Secondly, I do love the organisation of your introduction letter. You have specific to tell us about your interest in engineering course during your internship. But, I think you can explain more about your strength. I can read that you have shortened your strength, is a better to more detail with it so I can know that how do you find comfort speaking freely in groups.

    Lastly, your language is good, I can understand the words that you use. As I am poor in my grammar, it is difficult for me to find some errors from your language in this introduction but I did learn some new word for my writing in the future.

    Hope we can our experience and knowledge with each other next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Terry,

      Thank your for kind feedback, I will make the amends to talk more in depth regarding my strength.


      Regards,
      Herman

      Delete
  9. Dear Herman,

    Thank you for this well crafted letter. You address the main requirements of the assignment with clear detail. I appreciate learning about your internship and your various skill levels, which you describe with good fluency.

    You've also received detailed feedback from a couple of your peers. Of course, you need to acknowledge that input so as to move toward the application of authentic communication.

    In our module, we will certainly address the goals you have. I hope that by the end of the term, you can say that you no longer feel a lack of confidence when you speak in a large group.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad,

      Thank you for taking time to read my letter and the comments by my peers, I will be taking in their feedback and make the necessary amendments.


      Regards,
      Herman

      Delete

Technical Report - Proposal to Install Health-Monitoring Sensors in Vehicles

Problem Statement An ideal car should be fitted with health monitoring sensors. However, the sensors present in cars today do not have the c...